Monday 8 August 2011

Hi there and welcome.

Thanks for visiting!

 I'm just getting started,  but I always fancied having a blog. I'll tell you a little about me to start with and we'll go from there!

I'm a married, 30 something gal from the UK. I have a son, three cats and 8 ex-battery hens. I love all types of animals and would love to have a farm/small holding/petting zoo and/or an equestrian centre but due to not being a millionaire it's just a dream right now. If you want to give me a million pounds, then please, let me know :P.

My hens came from the BHWT (British Hen Welfare Trust) http://www.bhwt.org.uk/ which is a worthy organisation that rescues hens when the battery farms. A battery hen has a shelf life of 18 months, after which she is considered spent and destroyed. 

The BHWT takes these hens and finds them a new home. They still lay eggs (very tasty ones!) and make delightful pets. They aren't stupid, they're actually pretty smart with individual personalities! We even have one who knows her name and comes running!



But there will be much more about the hens in another post.

 This is a photo of Mel as she looks now, she is just over 2 years old here. We've had her for over a year. Mel knows her name, comes when she is called, will happily have a cuddle and is very friendly. She is also the alpha-hen.


The picture left is of Mel when we first got her at 18 months old. She had just come out of the battery farm, and as you can see, looked pretty pale with a lot of feathers missing. Even after what she'd been though, she was friendly and perked up very quickly.










Horses are my passion, I'm always amazed by their intelligence, affection and devotion. I'm qualified to BHSAI level (British Horse Society Assistant Instructor) with over 20 years experience working with a wide variety of horses and people.  I've not had the luck to be able to have owned my own horse yet, so I work with other peoples horses. I studied at Sparsholt College (http://www.sparsholt.ac.uk/) and have a National Diploma in horse management.

I have one son (5) and I've been married for 9 years to my lovely husband. We currently live in the north of Hampshire in a small town.

That's a short introduction, I will post again soon. Thanks for reading.






















No comments:

Post a Comment