Thursday 11 August 2011

Some pictures from the garden.

Hello again,

Now, as previously mentioned, I like gardening! I thought I'd put a few pictures up of some of my favorite plants from my garden.

 I love sunflowers, they're easy to grow and the hens don't seem to eat them..... These are red sunflowers, I do have one which is a lot darker than these, I'll post it at the end.
 This is a miniature sunflower. The only one that survived. Sadly, the slugs got to the others. I was gutted. They seemed to come out of nowhere, and in one night, I had one seedling left. 



















 This is one of my strawberry plants. It has pink flowers, which I thought was odd, because I've only ever seen plants with white flowers. The strawberries are longer and have bigger seeds than our other (white flowered) plant.
 This is a Tomatillo plant. This is a plant native to Mexico. I thought I'd try and grow one. I had to germinate the seeds at 27 'C, which is tricky in this country!! Thanks to the un-seasonally hot spring, it grew, and grew and grew! I've yet to get any fruit from it. 
















My beautiful climbing rose bush. We bought this last year, so it's still a baby, but the roses are gorgeous. So long as I remember to 'dead head' the plant, it flowers all summer long. 








 One of my tomato plants. I have some plants outside, some in the veg patch and some grown in a cloche. They've all fruited, the cloche fruit are bigger, but none has ripened yet. I've been very good and remembered to feed and prune them, so hopefully all the fruit will ripen soon.
My potato plant. This is the first year I've grown potatoes. We've already had one crop from this plant and this is the second sprouting. I'm hoping to get another crop as the potatoes were lovely!










This is the lovely dark red sunflower. We do have some giant sunflowers too, but it started raining before I could get a photo. I'll upload one soon.











Those are just a few of our plants, we also have beetroot, chilli, courgettes, lettuce and carrots (orange and purple).

The hens make veg growing a little tricky as everything has to be fenced off or put out of reach! But as rotivators, you can't beat a hen!


No comments:

Post a Comment